Skip to main content

The cancer diaries: I'm with Wolverine


Don't try this at home. Rely on a medical professional to burn you.

When I texted my husband yesterday to tell him I have skin cancer, he immediately wanted to come home from work. I told him to never mind, that I was a-ok, and I was.

I've spent the last many months sitting around the Ottawa Cancer Clinic, and I got myself a crash course in all things cancer. I sat for many hours with my friend Jennette in the company of oncologists and surgeons. I took her for her oral cancer appointments, and I watched her go through a living hell and come out the other side.

I have been asked by many reading this blog how she is, and she's fine. She rejected the doctor's recommendation that she undergo radiation "just in case". Since it required the pulling of all her teeth, she decided she'd take her chances, which were about 40 percent that the cancer would return.

Jennette is very brave. I'm not sure I would have had the guts to tell the radiology oncologist to take a hike. If her cancer does come back, she's done for. But in Jennette's case, she opted for quality of life. She's had a lot of misery over the last few years, losing her husband, now about to lose her beloved father, and the damned cancer. She wants to live a little, and so she's refusing treatment. As for the oncologist, well, he stopped taking her calls. He even stopped taking calls from her GP.

Very petty.

Anyway, I've seen people with really bad cancer, and mine is treatable. It's basel cell, and while I'm going to have part of my ear lopped off, it's not going to kill me. Something else will, but not this cancer.

I learned at the cancer clinic that the term "treatable" is both hilarious and misleading.

Jennette's was treatable, and in her case, treatable meant the surgeon took a backhoe to her gob. So I'm not taking any comfort in it being treatable. Treatable can be just as ugly as not treatable. Especially when it comes to a person's face.

The one term I heard over and over again at the cancer clinic, mostly from the speech pathologist, is that patients who have had their cancer treated simply have to get used to the "new normal". In Jennette's case, it means eating mushy food probably for the rest of her life. In my case, it will mean walking around in a jaunty chapeau, slathering 60 plus sunscreen on my body, and having an ear that looks like I've been on the wrong end of a prize fight with Mohammed Ali.

It is what it is.

It makes me think about the whole controversy I've been reading about, in terms of describing the cancer patient's journey. People mostly talk about "beating cancer," and that has some politically correct people crying foul. They don't like the sports analogy, and words like "he battled cancer," she "lost her fight with cancer."

Me, I'm not going to beat cancer, I'm going to have my cancer "treated." And I will treat it by not being a stupid ass and making the whole thing worse.

Beat or treat.

But I don't care, either way.

I'm going to die, eventually, of something. Hopefully, when I'm old, warm in my bed, like the old lady on the Titanic.

In the meantime, I'm with Wolverine, er Hugh Jackman, who has had skin cancer twice on that lovely face.



I'm here to tell you to get screened and wear sunscreen. Stay out of the midday sun.

Or it will be High Noon for you!

And make sure your doctor knows what cancer looks like. Mine didn't and that's why I'm getting this treated four years down the line.

Here's a little secret.

If you think you have skin cancer, you probably do. Insist on a referral.

My doctor was an idiot, and incompetent, and I'm going to take away his medical licence.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein