Skip to main content

Our Big Fat Biracial Family





In eight weeks, give or take, we will be welcoming our second grandchild, another girl, who is giving my daughter more than a little trouble these days. Kennedy is growing like fescue grass on a Scottish golf course and that's caused problems.

My daughter Marissa learned a few weeks ago that she has gestational diabetes and now has to test her blood sugar and give herself insulin shots. Thankfully, this kind of diabetes is treatable and won't hang around after the birth, but it's created a tricky living situations for Marissa who was hoping to experience the pre-natal gorge of all the food groups she's denied herself over the past few years.

I've admired her discipline, and it hurts me to see her these days all blown up like Gwyneth Paltrow in a fat suit. She is swollen from head to toe -- even her tiny perfect nose has grown three sizes. She's virtually unrecognizable!

But she's happy, and that's all that counts.

Yesterday, I attended her baby shower and I was amazed at the standing room only crowd that came out to honor her. She's been a great friend to a lot of amazing young women, and it showed yesterday. There were only two oldsters in attendance, me and the grandma of one of her friends. We sat together and found we had much in common. That's not too hard, living in Ottawa, where there is a large group of people who have worked on and around politics and the Hill. I honestly had the best time.

The room was filled with the fragrance of Haitian food prepared lovingly by Jeff's sisters. There were mounds of rice and beans, little meaty cigars, chicken, even Haitian pizza. There were also sandwiches and crudites for those who didn't want to savor the wonderful homemade island food, but most of that sat idly as people wolfed down the feast prepared by the Homere sisters.

I am proud to be part of family that is black, white, French, English -- we are, indeed, a multicultural Canadian family and community. And we are all waiting impatiently to welcome our first "cocoa" baby, as Jeff's sister calls Kennedy.

I'm also loving that Kennedy will grow up with Skylar, her blond blue-eyed first cousin who will happily show her the ropes -- and keep her safe from the haters.

If I'm to be perfectly honest, I worry that she will grow up in a society that "cards" and profiles people just because of the color of their skin. As a grandmother, I will fiercely protect her, and help her take advantage of all the opportunities our society offers.

Sadly, I admit that I didn't think much about race before. I've always been supportive of people from other cultures, I've always been open minded. I was just never a participant in the dialogue.

I think if there was more inter-marriage, and inter-friendship, people would see for themselves what they miss when they cordon themselves off from other cultures and make snap judgments about them. Unfortunately, the prejudice goes both ways.

So I thank Marissa and Jeff for giving us the opportunity to get to know their little bundle, and for allowing me to be one of her most loving protectors and boosters.

April can't come soon enough for any of us.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein