Skip to main content

The Cancer Diaries: The Legacy








The support worker thanked me today for supporting Jennette through her cancer surgery. Indeed, I've had lots of loving bouquets from people who have heard my story about Jennette. Doctors have thanked me, nurses have thanked me.

It's like I'm a little superhero.

I find this unbelievable. I come from a family that has always taken care of its own. Growing up on the farm, I helped bathe my grandmother when I was just a girl after she had been broken her hip. At 15, it was bit of a shock seeing my granny in the all-together, noticing she was missing a breast at the age of 76. I didn't ask any questions.

I was raised to help others, to respect my elders, to revere them, and I loved every inch of my family. Maybe I'm strange because I grew up with my grandparents, but I loved them and would do anything for them.

I also grew up with an uncle who was, well, what was said back then was he wasn't quite right. He had the intellectual capacity of a 10-year-old; I was just told he "never grew up."

Vern was my buddy. He used to hook the dog up to my wagon or sled, and he would guide the dog around the farm, with me in tow. Vern died of a heart attack when I was about 12, in a farmer's field, helping the neighbor.

My life has been enriched by the people whom I cared for, who also cared for me. And I cannot imagine NOT helping them when the time was right. And that is what brings me here, to Jennette's apartment, to help in caring for her.

We live in a culture where it is easy to give money, a coin here, a cheque there, to help the disenfranchised, or the poor, the indigent or the addled. We hold fundraisers, big ones, that support hospitals and causes, where people come out in their Sunday best and drink and dance for this cause or another. There is nothing wrong with that; these fundraisers go a long way to helping people. And so do the fundraisers where we lace up our Nikes and set off on a path with a handful of pledges.

But sometimes, you just have to help one person through a bad patch. Sometimes, you just have to spot a person in need, or in need of help, and plunge in.

For all the wonderful programs out there, there is something missing. It's the profound impact that one person can make on the life of one other person.

Here's what I know.

There is always the senior in the building, the one you see every day on their walker. Offer to come to their place for tea, and you bring the sandwiches. Find out if they need a ride, or some groceries, or a little visit.

If you are a parent at school, watch for that family where the parents look stressed. Offer to babysit just for a few hours. Or offer to take their child to the movies.

These small acts of kindness are a gift from you to them. But they are also a gift to yourself.

Believe me, the rewards will come back to you in spades, like a boomerang, over and over.

I think about this when I receive nice notes from my Facebook friends.

Don't thank me for being a friend to my friend.

It is a gift that I get back every day.







Comments

  1. You certainly put some lovely thoughts into words. And amidst all of that you get the inspirational message across that it starts with helping one person. You sent a nice message to each and every one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always been the kind of friend everyone wishes to have, Rose. I treasure the fact that we have been friends for over 40 years now. It doesn't mean you're in my will, but you're in my heart forever, girl! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

Jack Van Dusen: 90 Years Old and Not a Drop Wasted

A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."  -- L. Frank Baum It's not easy standing out in a family like the Van Dusens. They are like tribbles; they are everywhere. In politics. In the media. In the fine arts. Even on stage at local fairs raising money for good causes. But Jack Van Dusen is no ordinary Van Dusen. He's a trailblazer. He was the voice of Ottawa anchoring the local news in the early days, with the sidekicks you see in the photo above. He was on Parliament Hill rubbing shoulders with the likes of John George Diefenbaker and making mischief with the relatively small cabal of ink stain wretches who were the first generation to talk to Canadians over the air waves. After a successful time in the media, Jack had a second career as a public relations guy. That's when I met him sitting at the lunch table at the National Press Club with his brother Tom, the columnist Charles Lynch, Sergeant-at-Arms Gus Clou