Skip to main content

Canada and the price of cauliflower





Yesterday, I saw a cauliflower, that magical Unicorn-like vegetable that people have been taking out bank loans to purchase.
It was $1.99 in Canadian dollars, 10 cents on the American side.
We took two, the only two, and looked around and saw a man eyeing our purchase.
"Do you want one?" Scott asked. "They are the only ones in the half price bin."
The man smiled wanly.
"No, " he said. "You take them. I'm not sure we'll eat it tonight. But thanks."
"No, you take it," Scott said.
"No, you."
"No, you!"

It is a cliché in the rest of the world to say that Canadians are the nicest people on the planet. But this exchange is direct evidence that it is true. In other countries, people would be fighting over it, ripping each other apart in the quest for the Holy Vegetable Grail. But not us.

Today, I went back to the grocery store, and I accidentally forgot my iPhone 6 in the grocery cart. When I got home I realized that the Holy Technology Grail was missing, so I raced back to Loblaws to the courtesy counter. The nice lady handed me my phone. Another Canadian had found it in the cart and brought it back into the store.

"Sorry," he said. "A lady left this in her cart. Do you mind hanging on to it?"
"Would I!" she crooned, tap dancing to a Michael Buble tune playing in the background. "I can't wait until she finds out it's missing so I can just make her day!"
Well, that didn't happen. But it could have.

This is a country that begs people to like us. We say please and thank you. We even say "sorry?" when we mean excuse me. Even our home grown celebrities are nice as sugar pie.

We had poor Celine Dion standing for eight hours by her husband's casket, when he was laying in state. Instead of making it all about her, Celine spent her time putting her arm around everybody, trying to make them feel better. My heart goes on just thinking about her and her lovely family.

We have Martin Short and Catherine O'Hara, Wayne Friggin' Gretzky. Heck, we had Monty Hall giving away the farm on Let's Make A Deal. We have Lorne Michaels who has given nearly everybody a job in show business. And Paul Anka who showed the Chairman of the Board how to do it His Way.

We have the shiniest, nicest Prime Minister on the planet, a guy who would be smiling if he was forced to walk over coals, a man who wasn't afraid to take Leo DiCaprio to the mystical woodshed and tell him to ease up on the oilsands, please, cause hundreds of folks need to eat in Alberta. Then he gently reminded Leo that he was a rich hypocrite who should spend less time schtupping supermodels and burning fuel on his yacht. Leo actually apologized! Who's the king of the world, now, hey?

While Donald Trump is scorching the Earth below us, we are flying Syrian refugees into every major city in Canada and giving them food, shelter and clothing. We aren't afraid to take in mothers and babies, Mr. Trump. But we are really afraid of you.

If we could, all Canadians would vote for Bernie Sanders, that's how nice we are.

Instead of bombing the shit out of countries and killing civilians, we're trying to train them how to kill others. Put me in coach! (Well, maybe that's a bad example.)

We are not just nice, we are resourceful.

To quote one of our most cherished Canadians, Red Green: "A Canadian may not be handsome, but he's always handy."

Our military Dart Team can turn dirt into water. No, really. They can.

Maybe we should send them to Flint!

We may not have built a spaceship, but we gave it an arm.

And Canada has the only singing astronaut, Chris Hadfield, Canada's answer to Ned Flanders.

Sorry to sound so smug, but it's a nice clear day today, and I'm feeling good about being Canadian.

The cauliflower is now blanched and put in freezer bags waiting to be consumed. My phone is resting quietly beside me, and I am just lucky to be alive and living on this cold white Tundra.

Oops! Gotta go!

My neighbor needs a boost.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein