Skip to main content

Media types should stop calling jobless Canadians lazy





Last week, I was watching Power Play, the CTV blorgfest chaired by the cherubic Don Martin who was discussing the current state of the job market. According to Martin and panelists, a shocking trend has developed.

One third of all people without jobs have simply stopped looking for work.

The fate of the unemployed has become a hot button issue in the Ontario election, a hot tamale being tossed back and forth by Tim Hudak who would actually cut cushy public service jobs in favor of good new jobs in the manufacturing sector and Andrea Horwath who would somehow pull jobs out of thin air.

The jobless situation also recently turned into a political football at the federal level when it was revealed that employers like McDonald's have been feathering their nests with cut-rate foreign workers rather than hiring Canadians.

I was looking forward to hearing some spirited discussion on Martin's program. Instead, I heard this.

"Are these people just lazy?" asked Martin, reframing the same question several times.

Many the "experts' agreed with him, brandishing that old saw that there are great jobs out there, but the jobless think they're too good to take them.

Finally, Martin, the proud Albertan that he is, declared that these lay-abouts simply needed to move to the Wild Rose province where, apparently, all the good jobs lay.

As one of the 30 percent who have stopped looking for jobs, this condescending banter stuck in my craw. Who are these people with all the answers, the journalists who only stray away from the Parliamentary precinct long enough to wet their whistles at Hy's, these so-called experts who test the pulse of the job market from their lofty perches in the hallowed halls of academia? Have any of them, once, felt the sting and despondency of an unreturned phone call or email? Have they felt the boot on their superannuated backs when being turned down to pack groceries at the local Loblaws?

I didn't see one unfortunate jobless person being interviewed on that program. There were only gaping maws making an extra $200 for their five minutes of fame by talking about something they didn't understand.

Now, I like Don Martin, who usually provides a fresh, irreverent and down-to-Earth approach to issues, but I didn't like him -- or any of his panelists -- that day.

That's because his remarks cut too close to the bone.

I live in a pretty typical household these days. My husband, a professional cameraman and producer with more than 30 years experience in his field, is now selling cars to rich people on commission. My son and his girlfriend live with us downstairs because they work at Target and most months have difficulty making the rent. Both of them would happily work anywhere, take anything, but like many educated young people, they've become slaves to a retail industry which hires only the bare minimum of staff, all of those part-time. Me, I am one of the one-third who have simply given up on looking for a job because I haven't been able to find one, part-time or full-time.

The market here in Ottawa is terrible. Part of the problem is that the federal government has systematically reduced the public service, so there are lots of retired or packaged public servants out there taking all the jobs that used to be plentiful for people like me. I spent much of my career working in the not-for-profit arena, a place that held out relatively low paying but interesting jobs. Those jobs are now being gobbled up by people who already have pensions or a stash of money, who come to the table with their fancy subsidized French certificates and Master's Degrees.

The agencies, once a hotbed for worker bees, have stopped hiring people like me because they have a stable of people with better credentials. In the meantime, they've reduced the pay for writers and editors who were once considered professionals. Now those jobs go for minimum wage.

I don't want Don Martin to feel sorry for me, but I want to straighten him out and give him a little schooling from the cheap seats.

I've applied for jobs at grocery stores, at pet stores and department stores. You can't just go in with a resume anymore. All the hiring is done by human resource professionals, on-line, who use key words to weed out people like me. The key words are: retail, cash and keyholder. I don't possess any of that experience.

I do have experience at call centres, the places where souls go to die. But I haven't got a reply back from a call centre in years.

I suppose I could move to Alberta, although my skill set doesn't involve experience with
Snap-on tools. I could go back to school, but at nearly 58, by the time I graduate it will be time to retire.

Last week, I had a lead on a media job. Unfortunately, I was turned down in favor of a twenty-something even though I've got thirty years experience in the business. If you think that age-ism is dead think again. Nobody wants a lumpy old granny like me even though I'm more social media savvy and literate than most of the grads coming out of journalism school.

I faced the fact, long ago, that I'm passed my expiry date.

You know, and I know it.

Back to Don Martin. Maybe Don would do well to walk a mile in my well worn jobless shoes. By the looks of him, he probably doesn't know how to use a Snap-on tool, either. And he isn't bilingual enough to get another job in this burg.

Guess he'll have to go back to Alberta when Bell Media gets tired of his wrinkly opinionated ass.

Seriously Don, we jobless people who have stopped looking for work, we aren't lazy. We're discouraged.

Some of us are suicidal.

Stop disrespecting us.

Stop talking smack in front of our backs.

It isn't useful, and it hurts our feelings.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein