Skip to main content

Sophie The Pug Turns One


This time last year, I set out on a journey of faith hoping that a new puppy would take away the sadness of losing my beloved Ming who died tragically the year before. At the time of Ming's sudden passing, I was inconsolable and believed there would never be a pug who could replace her.

Besides, it's not like we needed another dog. We still had the geriatric Gordie and of course, The Black Bastard Finnigan. But the house was short a fawn. It just didn't seem right without one.

It was a cold day like this one when Scott drove me into the backwoods of Quebec in search of a single mom who was trying to sell a five month old puppy she could not afford to keep. The story was a crock, of course. When we arrived, we found Sophie who was not five months. She was barely five weeks old. She had no food, no training pads just that little sad sweet face. I'm sure she had been weaned shortly before we arrived.

We couldn't leave her, not in that house with no food or water so we paid the woman and left.

We took Sophie outside to pee, and it appeared she didn't know what outside was. So we wrapped her tiny body in a blanket and started back home.

Minutes into the journey, it was clear that Sophie was no ordinary pug; at least she wasn't like the docile pugs I'd known. For most of the trip, I had to wear Scott's gloves to keep her from gnawing off my fingers. She was scratchy and feisty and a little unlovable if I am to be perfectly honest.

Like a little devil wrapped in cake.

I worried about Finnigan and how he would adjust to the new puppy. He had been using the Jurassic Pug, Gordie, as a chew toy and I thought he might hurt little Sophie, but fortunately, my fears were unfounded. In fact, it was Sophie who began, almost immediately, to attack Finnigan from above, underneath and behind.

It turns out she had been a Navy Seal in a past life.

See evidence below.




She's also a one pug wrecking ball. She's shredded the carpet, chewed the coffee table and ruined at least four pairs of shoes including Scott's good boots. She is a champion paper shredder, the kind of dog who literally eats your homework. And she can get up on the counter by climbing up the cabinets.

Our little pug has three speeds: asleep, running and biting. She is a championship sleeper but as soon as the light comes into the window, she's on Scott's face biting his nose.

Now that I think about it, much of it is Finn's fault, as usual. I decided to get Sophie on the advice of Cesar Milan who suggested that the best way to train a puppy is to use an adolescent dog. That adolescent dog is Finnigan, the untrainable.

Between Sophie and Finnigan, they have made our home impossible to visit. It's so bad I'm thinking of having everyone sign a release upon entering the premises.

Still, I love the little rat.

It's hard not to. Just look at this face.



And cover your ears, hide the shoes and keep the toilet paper in the cupboard. Put duck tape on the carpet. Invest in hot sauce. Oh wait, that didn't work. She loves hot sauce.

Ella ama a Taco Bell.

In any event, happy birthday, my little kumquat.

There's joy in the world because Sophie's in it.

Comments

  1. For most of the trip, I had to wear Scott's gloves to keep her from gnawing off ... pugsgloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein