Skip to main content

Snowstorms: A classroom of the human condition

I'm not lazy exactly, but I'm heavily spoiled.
I have one of those husbands every girl wants, the kind who does everything around the house. He cooks, he cleans, he fixes everything, and he shovels.
Since we've been together, I haven't picked up a shovel, not once. Except the other day when I arrived home, alone, to discover that the city snow plow had left a three foot snowdrift in front of my driveway, compacted into a mixture of dirt, salt, ice and snow.
We recently got a new car and I am always superstitious, you know, I'm one of those glass is half empty sorts that fully expects someone to come along and schmuck it before we've made our first car payment. I've seen this happen to others, more than once, in this long life, and I was not going to let it happen to me.
So there I was, outside my fence for the very first time since we moved here nearly four years ago, and I began to chat with my neighbor across the way. I had never spoken to him before.
His name is Kyle and he lives there with his girlfriend, baby and a couple of roomies.
Over my fence, his place has made a bit of an impression.
It's kind of a sketchy place, like Shameless, the tv show, and sometimes the roomies have been self-confessed crackheads who seem to be attracted to my 'hood like fruit flies. There are always half eaten cars in the yard, things once needful, but no longer useful, junk, moving flats, etc. etc. etc.
So I've made a few presumptions over the years, fueled by the gossip of Georgette, the 80-year-old busy body who's quick with a remark and a call to bylaw. Georgette absolutely hates Kyle and his dad, Len. I've seen Len over the fence, flipping her the bird on her daily walks to the Quickie to get scratch off tickets.
Anyway, Kyle was shoveling and came over to introduce himself and to offer me the use of his shovel which was steel and more useful on icy snow banks than the lame plastic one we have.
I waved him off, in a friendly enough manner, but then he got in my business and actually offered to help me shovel. Who does that?
So we got talking and he gave me his biography in 15 minutes.
"I used to be kind of a bad guy," he smiled. "But I've been with my girlfriend and we have a kid now, and well, I've changed."
He works construction while his girlfriend is a pharmacist's assistant. They take in boarders, not all, he admits, savory ones. He still smokes a little pot, drinks a little beer, he says.
"Come over sometime in the summer and have a swim."
A pool? Shameless has a pool? I thought it was a crack house. I imagined it was a grow op.
"It's just a small above ground one, but it works pretty well."
He left me with a fully shoveled walk and a new feeling. I was a little ashamed of myself.
Snowstorms can be classrooms of the human condition, can't they? 

Comments

  1. They sure can be.
    I love big snow storms because they're the only time the entire neighbourhood is outside together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein