Skip to main content

Merry Christmas from my heart to yours




My neighbor had to move away, at the beginning of the holiday season, because she was being terrorized by her former crackhead roommate and his chums who kept breaking into her house, taking nothing, but leaving wet smears on her carpet. One night last fall, she realized someone had been in her bedroom while she and her daughter were in the next room.

Being a seasoned member of the 'hood which we call Elmvale, I lent her my nine iron which she kept under her bed. On my advice, she also changed the locks.

We felt bad for this fearless woman, a person about my age, who rented the house so she could let her grandkids sleep over. Recently, after a last straw visit by the Ottawa cops, she moved into a small apartment, driven from her home by the walking trash that had lived beside her and kitty-corner in the very same apartment building teenaged girls were held, against their will, for the purpose of prostitution.

This is not a story about my sketchy neighborhood, though one might see this as a cautionary tale that a piece of real estate bumping up to St. Laurent Blvd. South might be an ill advised investment.

No this is a tale of a random act of kindness, the kind of human gesture that puts warmth into even the coldest heart on this Christmas 2013.

A few weeks ago, I went to the garage to get our fake Christmas tree and the lights and ornaments that I had lovingly collected over the years. I found the tree, but no decorations. I asked Nick, who lives in the basement, if he had seen them. "No," said Charlie Brown. "I didn't see them."

He didn't see them because he had thrown them all out during one of his particularly dark pot phases. There wasn't a ball. It was as if the Grinch himself had come to Roseville and absconded with all that I held dear.

Instead of following the wonderful example of the people of Whoville, I took to Facebook in a snit and announced that we were cancelling Christmas. I didn't care. I've come to hate Christmas with its mirth and merriment. Who likes Christmas when you've got only enough money to buy a few presents for the kids, and you're forced to buy your groceries on the good graces of Galen Weston's PC Plus program?

This year, I had carefully planned my Christmas to the penny and there was no money for ornaments. So there would be none. Having my own back, I took myself down to Home Hardware where I bought three strings of lights for the tree. That would be that.

Yesterday, my former neighbor sent me a text message.

Would you like some Christmas balls?

Sure. That would be great. My son threw out all our Christmas decorations when he was cleaning the garage.

I know; I saw it on Facebook.

A few hours later, she arrived with three bags of ornaments. Some were ancient ones, the sparkly icicles and balls I remember placing on my Granny's tree. There were new ones, too, three or four bags of them, ornaments she had obviously picked up for us as well as little half-painted nutcrackers that must have been doodled by her grandkids, and two sets of baby booties, one pink, one blue. What a treasure trove, old and new, some were sentimental while others were utilitarian.

By suppertime, our tree had gone from sad and miserable to lush and sparkly. As I was putting the last piece on the tree, I looked down and saw Sophie the pug batting at a silver ball and the Black Bastard Finnigan with his nose in the tree. He looked at me and smiled.

Like the ice in my margarita glass, my heart began to melt.

It took a frantic and frazzled woman, forced from her home during the holiday season, to remind me that the real spirit of Christmas lives in our hearts not our pocketbooks.

Merry Christmas from my heart to yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein