Skip to main content

Home for the holidays



This photograph was taken by my cousin Pat on a Polaroid camera when I was 23.

I was home for Christmas with the swagger of a girl with her first -- and only as it turns out -- newspaper job. I had many stories to tell back then, about life on Parliament Hill, drinks with celebrity journalists, reporting on the issues of the day.

Just a year out of journalism school, I had managed to get a ticket to the Big Show, but my relatives didn't care. They didn't want to hear about it. Sometimes I felt like an alien who had landed in Pleasantville where everything had stayed the same and people lived their lives in black-and-white while I was being colorized.

My mom and my Aunt Alwyn were always listening, though, fascinated by the stories of a time and a place that they could only imagine. And how I loved to talk about my new life, for hours into the morning. Sometimes, we would stay up til 3 a.m. talking.

At Christmas, especially, I miss those talks.

Like many people in late middle age, I wish I could get that time back again.

But it's gone, like good knees and true hair color.

The elders in this photograph, my mom and Uncle Ivan, are long gone. My brothers are still together with their wives, my cousin Marty is now a successful something-or-other living in the UK with his own family.

Me, I'm still in Ottawa telling stories but they aren't quite as fascinating. Celebrities and politicians become tiresome. The Big Show has become a dusty old vaudeville act full of clowns and acrobats, ridiculous creatures. Nobody wants to hear about them anymore.

A few years after this photo was taken, we stopped having Christmas together. The family didn't really sync anymore and we all went our separate ways, which was too bad. I always loved our family times together when we played board games, cranked up the tunes and danced under the strobe lights.

New relationships can be horrible on families. So can distance. Both tear solid families apart, make relatives into acquaintances who talk occasionally about the weather over telephone lines. Those conversations, eventually, stop altogether.

My mother, seen here with her pack of smokes and beer bottle strategically placed nearby, but not quite out of the shot, was the glue that held our family together. Then she was gone and now so are we. I tried for many years to keep things going, but it was hard so far from home. After I got divorced, I gave up on family altogether. What was the point? All my dreams and beliefs were shattered. Isolation set in.

Now, friends have replaced brothers and sisters, our own children become the moons that orbit us, grandchildren rejuvenate our aching hearts.

We've all spun new webs as we've aged.

Perhaps it wouldn't have happened if we all lived in the same city but that is the tragedy of growing up in a small place where the only prospect of good employment is on the automotive line. We all had to move for jobs and adventure. That's when the centre fell apart.

I'm not complaining. I've got my own life now.

My kids are here for Christmas. They wouldn't be anywhere else.

Will that change? I hope not, at least I hope things don't change while I'm still on the planet and I can still touch my satellites.

Still, it's good to have the Polaroid just the same. I have it on my beside table to remind me of a world I knew, long ago in another universe.

 

Comments

  1. Great piece Rose, Merry Christmas to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein