Skip to main content

The Importance of Being Soshal



That girl rocking the red dress is my daughter, Marissa Gagnier, who works for the Soshal Group in Ottawa. They just won The Exceptional New Business Award at The Bobs, which stands for Best Ottawa Business Awards and I couldn't be more proud.

Marissa joined Soshal a couple years back as a "digital strategist" following a successful run at Corel Corporation. Soshal is a consulting group that helps clients "conceive, build and manage digital technology solutions that transform key areas of their business".

They hire crazy smart young people who still have their original brain cells.

She met the chief visionary of Soshal, Dave Hale, at Algonquin College when they were studying business marketing together. Since leaving Algonquin, Dave and his partners have built a successful company with clients that include Bell Media, the Ottawa Senators, CHEO as well as universities and colleges across the land.

Soshal is one of those hot Ottawa companies where the cool kids go to work, the kind that believes that the best workers are ones who slave hard for their clients but also know how to have fun. They dress up at Halloween and go on field trips to places like Saunders Farm. They patrol their Westboro neighborhood together in search of the finest, weird new food.

In this day and age of kids coming out of post-secondary school with only the prospect of a "want fries with that?" job, it's pretty special to land in a place that values and trusts its employees and massages their brains to get the best possible results.

Soshal shared the business award stage last week with Shopify, another booming Ottawa business that cherishes the barbecue and the pingpong table as much as they do their iMacs.

It makes me wish I were 23 again. When I was growing up and working here, businesses didn't know how to have fun. They were too buttoned down for my taste, too dependent on a work culture that valued a dress code and a time clock more than their human capital.

Workers in restraints are very unhappy little bees. Too many rules stifle creativity. They lead to employee absenteeism, cynicism and worker's little helpers.

The kids at Soshal -- sorry, I'm calling kids cause I'm old -- know when to put on a business suit and when to kick up their heels. I like that.

So congratulations, Marissa and team on your great success.

I didn't win my first business award until I was...well never mind then.




 

Comments

  1. There are tons of small tech companies like Soshal who are doing big things and yet remain totally under the radar for most people. They are driving our economy to new places and bringing a great new energy to the Ottawa business world. The Soshal team is well-deserving, they are a good bunch of folks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein