Skip to main content

Fordnado

The two things that scare me most are tornados and sharks.
I've never been in the presence of either but I imagine both to be terrifying.
The other night, I was awakened by wind whipping through my little neighborhood, gnashing at trees and upending bar stragglers. As I rubbed my tired eyes, Finnigan the Brave started nudging me to let him out which was really a bid to seek shelter in the front hallway.
I couldn't really get back to sleep.
So I laid there as my mind conjured dreams of monsters. Large grey funnels were coming at me, filled to the brim with Hammerheads and Great Whites.
That early morning reminded me of pathetic fallacy. In layman's terms it means while a person's getting whipped up, shit is going down around them.
Yesterday, pathetic fallacy played out for real, a mix of high emotions and swirling garbage. It was the ultimate smackdown.
Rob Ford versus Toronto City Council -- which was quickly followed by Rob Ford versus the world.
Fordnado.
It was all Ford all day, all night, the ultimate Canadian thriller being played out in real time, like a Sun News Network version of 24 with Jack Bauer replaced with the Brill Cream brothers.
Rob Ford didn't disappoint jumping up and down like his own Bobblehead, his own massive body resembling The Wave at an Argos game. There he was throwing down little old ladies in his wake, mixing up his metaphors, comparing himself to Kuwait during the time of Saddam Hussein as well as George W. Bush. Every few seconds, Rob Ford would morph into a different Avengers' character: Captain Toronto who saves the taxpayer money, the angry Hulk who turns green at the mere mention of The Black Widow, Kathleen Wynne, Iron Man in an Argos jersey, and of course, Thor.
Clearly, Rob Ford had the hammer yesterday.
Then it was off to his Magical Media Tour -- CNN, NBC, CBC -- to explain the unexplainable -- crack, pussy, Canada's Worst Driver, criminals, murder all set against idyllic family life set in the suburbs, under the roof of Toronto's best dad and football coach.
Then he was off to his own version of Heaven, Sun News Network, to commune with the Prince of Darkness, Ezra Levant, a man who can spot a jihad in every nook and cranny, in his role as spokesperson for the right and right.
It was all happening in full view of the Taliban who no doubt wondered why they had even bothered blowing things up when they could have commissioned Rob Ford to do it for them. (Certainly, he would have saved them money.)
Being a witness to Fordnado is exhausting. It's like a bag of wind that sucks the pure air out of the universe and replaces it with a gritty black wind full of cows, semis and garbage.
Fornado is worse than my dreams of sharks and tornados.
It's truly hell on Earth.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein