Skip to main content

Let's celebrate our good health this Thanksgiving




Maybe I caught it at the gym or down at the market.
Maybe I got it tossing around a Kong with Finnigan in an e Coli infested yard.
Maybe it was lurking in the half-priced duck we ate early in the week.
For whatever reason, I caught a bug that lingered for most of the week, causing my stomach to churn like the waters off North Carolina during hurricane season. Fortunately, it wasn't the type of bug that had me holding a pail puking while my butt was permanently glued to the toilet.
My stomach was just sour.
I don't get sick very often. It's one of the perks of being a shut-in, writerly sort of person. If you don't go anywhere, you can't get anything.
But in the past few years, I've been putting myself out there in the cold, germy world.
I go to The Athletic Club nearly every day. I'm at the supermarket sometimes twice a day.
And, of course, I'm rocking the dog park on the weekends.
So I guess you could say I was asking for it.
It's a strange thing, but I really don't mind being sick, as long as "sick" means temporarily sidelined. It's when I'm sick that I realize how absolutely fortunate I am to have good health.
If a person is always healthy, they take this gift for granted. They become grass is always greener over the septic tank sort of folks. They worry too much about what they want and don't appreciate what they have.
Perpetually healthy people tsk tsk those who experience ill health.
"Maybe if they took better care of themselves," they groan. "If they ate better and exercised, they wouldn't be laid up in the hospital or have difficulty walking around the mall."
It's the ultimate in snobbery, to say that people control whether they get a disease or gain too much weight around the belly in the later years.
It's only when healthy people finally becomes sick themselves that they realize how little control we humans have over our physical destiny.
When I get sick, I am thankful for my good health.
When I get sick, I am more empathetic with my friends who live in constant pain and misery.
I literally feel their pain.
Yesterday, I got up feeling much better.
I couldn't wait to get out in the world.
I ate a healthy breakfast and bolted for the gym.
Today, I'll help Scott make a hearty Thanksgiving dinner for the kids and my friends Bob and Doris who have both faced serious health challenges in the last year. And I'll give them both a hug.
It's a challenge for both of them to even get up, get dressed and get out the door, to hobble down to the car on walkers and canes.
Sometimes Bob falls down, but he always manages to get up.
But you know what? They never complain and they are happy just to feel the sun on their cheeks and the wind in their hair.
Most of the rest of the time, they're at doctors or self-sequestered in their tiny apartment.
Not today.
Today, they're coming to my house with smiles and appetizers. They're coming in spite of life-threatening conditions that would have brought most joggers to their knees.
I admire them, I really do.
So let's raise a glass to those who live in challenging times, in poor health or in poverty.
And let's share our good fortune with them.
The shoe will surely be on the other arthritic food soon enough.
Happy Thanksgiving, one and all, from our family to yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein