Skip to main content

The Game of Twigs



Finnigan taught me how to play fetch this weekend.
Here he is with his new red ball.
Before this summer, Finnigan had no interest in the fetching process. He was content to bark and jump and menace the pugs and the children.
But something's changed in him of late. It sounds corny but it was like a switch went off in his reptilian brain.
Finnigan was looking for a connection.

I will admit in front of a jury that Finnigan is not my dog.
He is Scott's dog.
I have pugs.
Finn waits at the door for Scott to come home and hugs him. Me, he barks at. Sometimes, he bares his teeth. There is no respect there, none. He is a punishment from God, at least that's what I think sometimes.
But about a month ago, Finnigan began to reach out to me.
He began interrupting our Dominoes games by bringing me twigs, drooly, foamy twigs laced I am certain with E coli. It was a real nuisance.
The twigs landed on my pants or my bare thigh and as many times as I tried to throw them out of the yard, he would come back with more, each one slimier than the previous one.
I have to admit, it was kind of fun, a game he invented that could only be played by two.
Scott could have his affection, but he wanted me to have his fun.
The game has since evolved to involve toys bought from the pet store, toys that are quickly destroyed.
This weekend, we took a chance on a red Kong ball.
When I opened the package, his big stupid maw gaped wide awaiting his new treasure.
Finn played with the red ball for two hours, rolling it over with his tongue, bouncing it, putting it on the table. Then it was time to let the games begin.
Last night, we played fetch for two hours.
By the time the kids came for dinner, Finnie was exhausted and lay happily snoring at Jeff's feet for most of the evening. There was no barking, no menacing.
For the first time in his life, Finnigan was all about fun and love.
This is progress.
I'd like to say that Finn's behavior change was the result of me training him.
I believe it's the opposite.
It wasn't me trying to make the connection.
It was him.
We bonded for the first time in our lives together.
All over a twig.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein