Skip to main content

If boomers had Facebook nothing would have gotten done

If Facebook and Twitter had been invented when we were teenagers, nothing would ever have gotten done.
It is true, we were the first generation of kids raised around the television. But we weren't glued to it. That's because there wasn't as much on television back then except for games shows and soap operas.
And cartoons but only on Saturday mornings.
Besides, our moms were hard asses who kicked us out of the house.
We didn't care because we didn't have air-conditioning.
When we were old enough to work, we got jobs. On the farm, we picked berries and bailed hay. In the city, kids had paper routes.
The lack of recreational options made us more creative with our spare time.
Some of us became activists railing against war and racism and injustice.
Others became builders and philanthropists.
Still others channeled their energy into creating business and growing wealth.
The rest just became drunks.
The world would not be nearly as interesting today if we'd grown up with video games, Farmville and Smartphones.
We would have turned into Baby Slackers, sitting on our lard asses eating tube cheese while our mothers swept the cobwebs out from under us.
Those of us who went out to get jobs would have done so because we needed money for the next edition of Grand Theft El Camino or to pay for our cell phone bills.
The telephone was not nearly as interesting when it was rotary and you had to look somebody's number up in a giant yellow phone book.

If we had been technologized, the world would have stopped at the end of our wrists -- as it does for many kids today.
I know this as a person who grew up as obsessive compulsive with a side order of addictive personality.
As a writer, I live in my head so I would have stayed in my head.
I was shy, terribly shy, so it wasn't always easy putting myself out in the world.
Perhaps I would have created an Avatar of myself instead of accepting my own reality.
Instead of joining clubs at school, I would have posted on Pinterest and shared kitty cats on Facebook.
I would have stalked potential boyfriends online instead of in my friend Sonia's car.
And being the writerly sort, I would have aspired to become the Twitter Queen of New Orleans.
Instead of haunting the library because I was a voracious reader, I would have spent hours on Wikipedia and lost myself in movies online. Instead of lurking at the mall every Saturday and buying lunch at Burger King, I would have ordered in and bought everything on Amazon.
It was a good thing that Facebook and the Internet came along decades later.
Because I'm addicted to all of it now -- even video games!
If these things were around when I was a teenager, I would have dropped out of school, gained fifty pounds and never left my mother's apartment.
I might even have taken up smoking.
Lucky me, I have technology addiction to take me into my old age.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein