Skip to main content

Frozen milk and melted butter



What a holy mess.

Our beautiful KitchenAid refrigerator blew up on us this weekend. The nice repairman said the compressor was gone and that meant the $2,200 investment I made seven years ago is nothing but a piece of junk.

I wonder how many years seven is in refrigerator years.

It was working fine on Friday. Then everything in the freezer melted.

And that was that.

We had to bring in a last-minute replacement, a second stringer, which looks very much like its on its last season, final play. The replacement doesn't even have a bottom crisper drawer, and it's too small for the space allotted it.

Maybe it's so much worshipping of false idols, but I loved my false idol. It had a bottom drawer for the freezer where I kept all my frozen berries and meat now spoiled on the counters. It was big enough to hold a week's worth of groceries along with all the weird Thai and Chinese condiments that make cooking healthy worthwhile.

It was beautiful on the outside, too, gleaming with brushed steel and faux leather. And it was quiet, only making a cute little noise when you accidentally left the door ajar.

I adored it.

This fridge was more than a place to keep condiments. It was the first thing I bought seven years ago with my hard-fought-for divorce settlement, along with an equally charming stove. Before that, I was using a crappy fridge that froze the milk and melted the butter.

Fifteen years, I lived with substandard appliances and the KitchenAid was my gift to myself for raising three kids alone at the poverty line, then having to take their old man to court to pay for their university while he made and hid millions of dollars.

The talk show host Dini Petty always talked about her version of happiness being a full fridge. That's how I felt. The fuller the better.

Now, I have a future of frozen milk and melted butter again on this roller coaster of unemployment and fear and loss. Yesterday, I sat outside looking at the bundle of steel and faux letter that would meet its final ending on the curb with burnt out barbecues and broken furniture. It still gleamed like a perfect house with nobody home.

I sat down at the table, poured myself a strong one and had a good cry, realizing that there are fewer things we can depend on these days.

Our fridge will join the lawnmower and the vacuum cleaner on the curb of loss and bad endings, all recently departed. For now, we're cutting the grass with the neighbor's push mower and vacuuming the dog hair with our hands.

Shouldn't have to do that at our age.

It's been a hard few years of up and down employment, babies that are not fully paid for, dogs that have reached their expiry date. It just never ends.

Today, we will pick up the pieces, throw out precious groceries that spoiled and try to look on the bright side.

At least we have a fridge. And a roof. And each other.

Forgive me for saying this. The idols may be false but sometimes they're all that we have to hang on to.

Even then, sometimes, it just doesn't seem enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein