Skip to main content

Outhouse: The Walk of Shame



 
If anal retentiveness could be taught, the classroom would be in the outhouse, the bane of the existence of any kid who grew up poor on a farm.
 
I am still traumatized by the 14 years or so I spent making the chilly trek to the stinky little lean-to we called our bathroom. I'm sure even Ma and Pa Kettle had a commode, but not us. We had running water -- bathtubs and sinks full -- but it wasn't until Granny broke her hip, and I was in high school, that Gramps finally agreed to build a proper bathroom in the old farmhouse.
 
 The outhouse brought early shame into my sensitive little bottom. No one -- not even my Auntie Alwyn or the Houtbys who lived down the road -- lived in a house where you had to put a coat on to do nature's little business. The lack of toilet facilities became my reason for visiting neighbors and gratefully going to school. (Although I must admit that I spent years resisting peeing in a stall next to another child. Therapy might help me out on this.)
 
It was bad enough we had to go to the outhouse, but why did it have to be so far away from the house? Winters in Canada are damned cold. Summers are rife with mosquitos, spiders and flies who lay their eggs, well, you know. So why not at least build it within steps of the house instead of behind all the other "out buildings"? The grandparents died before I was intelligent enough to ask this question.
 
Our outhouse didn't have a light in it. Nor did it have proper toilet tissue. If you needed to wipe, there was always the handy telephone directory next to your left hand. I'm surprised I didn't get a paper cut.
 
At night, mom would let me pee in the pot, bless her. But anything else, well, you just had to wait until morning or make the journey. Didn't help that little miss had werewolves in her head and was afraid they might leap out at her at any moment.
 
I admit to a bit of sneakiness as a child. There's a brilliant passage in Mordecai Richler's St. Urbain's Horseman in which the protagonist, who is a guest in someone's house, takes a dump in an English watercloset only to find that no matter how many times he pulls the chain, the damned thing won't flush. He resorts to wrapping the turd in his underwear and tossing it out the window.
 
Haha, you might say but I can relate.

My trick was to wait until the adults were drinking and playing cards until I did the nasty deed in the little potty, after which I buried my human remains in the garden. This trick worked for a while until my mother discovered Kleenex among the peonies. I got a licking for that one.

I hate to admit it, but darkly, I rejoiced when Granny broke her hip. She may have experienced elderly hell, but I was loving the new bathroom which had a proper shower instead of a scummy bathtub with water drawn for three kids to save money. Most of all, I loved the warm feeling of the 1960s squishy toilet seat on my tender ass.
 
To this day, I never take a toilet for granted. I'm an indoor kind of girl, what can I say? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein