Fun facts about the American celebration of National Donut Day.
- National Donut Day is celebrated on the first Friday in June.
- More than 10 billion donuts are made every year in the U.S. alone.
- The largest donut ever made was a 1.7 ton jelly doughnut, which was 16 feet in diameter and 16 inches high in the center.
- Adolph Levitt invented the first donut machine in 1920.
- The Dutch are credited with bringing doughnuts to North America with their olykoeks, or oily cakes in the 1800s.
- The Guinness World record for donut eating is held by John Haight, who ate 29 doughnuts in just over 6 minutes.