Skip to main content

Hashtag: Doug Ford




I read in the Globe and Mail this morning that Doug Ford was a hash dealer back in 1980.
A refrain of an old song went through my head.

Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance for ever and a day.

I didn't smoke a lot of hash in 1980 but I did smoke my share.
It was during my rock and roll days when I was a music reviewer for the Ottawa Citizen and I was tooling around in my bright white bowling alley car, sometimes ferrying musicians over to Hull where we would get wasted, then roll home to sleep for 12 hours.
I only got arrested for drunk driving once -- another story entirely -- and I only snorted cocaine once, but I did do it. I remember vividly being high on coke, sitting on a Go Train and feeling my throat swell up. I also spent six hours at a Tim Horton's.
For a time during that period, I might have been fashioned as a drug dealer, though I like to think of it as being a purveyor of organic substances that were provided to me by one of the boys in the band. Needless to say, I was a hit around the Press Club in those days.
My husband Scott also has a few stories to tell about his disco years. Like the time he smuggled cocaine into the People's Republic of China zipped into the collar of his leather jacket. Or the time he shared a farmhouse with a drug dealer named Ihor.
I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my younger self just as I don't hold it against my kids that they were caught shoplifting or were found sleeping under a bridge near the canal. It's part of growing up for some of us. For some, it's a badge of honor.
In any event, I'm not that person anymore. I no longer drink and drive, or drug myself into oblivion. Neither does Scott.
We were just mixed up kids with nothing better to do with our time.
Reading this story about Doug Ford reminded me of those times.
I thought, boy he must have been one popular dude. The Globe story gives new meaning to the word "hash tag" -- tag you're it Dougie Wougie. The story notes that Doug Ford was never arrested for purveying substances; it simply paints him as kind of a rich fattie kingpin in the hood.
I didn't really get the point of it, other than to smear the guy.
It has nothing to do with his bro the Mayor of Toronna, who apparently didn't have anything to do with the drug nonsense, who instead spent most of his time in a Chris Farleyesque farce, trying to run a mile in his fat suit hoping to make the football team.
The story has been researched for two years and was only printed in today's paper, supposedly, because John Stackhouse felt he had to run it eventually, given all the money he paid the reporter and freelancer. Also, I suspect, he's feeling a little low that the Globe didn't get the scoop on that video which nobody has seen in which young Rob is hoisting a pipe to his lips and calling Justin Trudeau "a fag".
There doesn't seem to be a connection between the Somali drug dealer video and Doug Ford's past as a purveyor of substances. Doug wasn't selling crack cocaine, just hash, which was awesome in 1980. I don't think he hurt anybody, although there is some pretty nasty stuff revealed about his sister nearly getting her face blown off, but I'm not sure Dougie had anything to do with that either.
Cut to the chase, Rose. Okay, I'm getting there.
Rob Ford is a fucking weird buffoon who has some pretty nasty issues with the booze and most likely the crack. He probably shouldn't have been elected Mayor of Toronto because he's an asshole.
But this whole Rob and Doug Mackenzie dance the media is doing is bordering on bullying.
Just because a guy is fat and a buffoon and an embarrassment to the elite in Toronto doesn't mean he has to be used as a punching bag and punchline.
The people of Toronto elected his sorry ass.
And that is their problem.
They also elected Doug Ford who has never been charged with any crime.
In fact, Doug Ford seems like a pretty honorable guy. A standup.
He practically weeps while defending his brother. You have to admire the loyalty.
Back to Rob Ford.
If Rob Ford is guilty of a crime other than being a first class asshole and buffoon, then he should be prosecuted in a court of law. If he has a substance abuse problem, call in Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil, and let's get him better.
It'll be a changing day in your life, Rob.
Seriously dudes, you can't make someone go to rehab.
He'll get there eventually or be locked up by the constabularly in the GTA.
That my friends is a certainty.
Meanwhile, the media circus is a distraction. It keeps the mayor from doing his job.
And that is the media's fault, not his.
Show us the evidence, or get a life.
There have been too many column inches devoted to this nasty business.
Let's have detente.
And get Toronto back to work.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein