Skip to main content

Mommy track can make you feel like a loser






Watching the news last night, I was stunned to see one of my former female colleagues holding a press conference. She is now the CEO of a major consortium, apparently.

A Master of the Universe in silk stockings.

The last time I saw this woman, the police were at her door after my buddies and I launched fireworks off her balcony in the late 1970s in retribution for her having stolen my boyfriend.

I was pissed. I really liked that boyfriend.

Of course, she dumped him soon after – he was only attractive to her because he was my boyfriend -- and she probably moved on to another girl’s boyfriend, or so I like to believe. I hope I’m not the only girl who has been chronically left with a face like a slapped Nancy.

She was the first of many women who have stolen my boyfriends and husbands, all women characterized by uniforms consisting of black pencil skirts and white lace push-ups under cream silk blouses.
This woman is now a Harvard MBA and a CEO. A millionaire, I’m sure. Single, probably.

Seeing her on the telly reminded me of how badly I’ve been mistreated by women over the years.  
I had another pal from the 1970s, a woman for whom I provided shelter for a few years. Jayne, I don’t mind saying her name out loud, Jayne was an attendant at my wedding, a bestie. Jayne was also the woman who caught the bouquet, then threw it back in my face. I got her one of her first jobs, in politics, which she parlayed within a nanosecond into a position with a cabinet minister, then into a job at a major bank.

Today, she an international bank vice-president living in London.
A college degree from a community college gets you pretty far in the banking world, apparently.
She’s too posh for Facebook. I found her in the Globe and Mail business section. She looks the same. waifish, almost kind, like Julie Andrews. Same haircut. Different brain chemistry.

Last time I saw her was in Toronto in the subway. She, in her $1,300 suit, regarded me icily.
“Oh,” I said, baby drool still drying on my lapel from breakfast. “I hear you got a promotion.”

“Yes,” she said. “I am very good at what I do.”
She never asked after me, just turned on her Manolos and walked off, bum in the air.
It's like the French say. She farts higher than her asshole.
In the early years, I had some success myself. But I left the good life, voluntarily, to marry then expel children from my womb. I never regretted my choice, until the Master of the Universe I had married provided me a new career path, as a single mum of three.

I do believe I still have a couple of silk suits mothing in the closet along with my various pairs of black cotton pants and aging blouses. But I will never have a corner office unless I convert a bedroom.

I admit, upon seeing these women from my past, to a slight twinge of jealousy.

They successfully opted out of the mommy track and took their push ups and lace on the road. They emulated Mary Tyler Moore and Murphy Brown – except in the last season.

I became Laura Petrie.
I must admit that I am envious. I’m not saying I’d do things differently, I love my family, but a part of me wishes sometimes that I’d crossed the tracks and taken the A train.
The feeling passes especially after I spend a day with my grown kids and my little granddaughter. I like to watch them reach for the stars, to dream big dreams and I’m always there to pick them up when they trip and fall.  I don’t miss the fancy suits, I’m happy here in the yoga pants living a quiet life absent of swell parties and interior designers.
Although I  do admit I still have a fondness for a nice Scotch, deftly poured by a handsome bartender at the Chateau Laurier.
Truth is, those of us who find ourselves at the end of the mommy track can sometimes, just sometimes, feel like losers.
These women let off a mighty wind.

Sometimes it gets up your skirt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein