Skip to main content

Eating Christmas turkey through a straw



Nobody told me that dog walking was a contact sport.
I had just put the puppy Sophie down this morning at the dog park when Finnigan the retriever throttled toward me smashing his big stupid black head into my mouth.
I suppose it could have been worse. If his blow had landed a couple of inches higher, he would have broken my nose.
For now, I have a sore tooth and an upper lip that looks like hamburger. Also a split lower lip.
I won't be needing stitches but I may have to eat my turkey dinner through a straw.
Merry Christmas Eve, ho, ho, ho.
This isn't my first time at the Christmas injury rodeo. Nope. Last year, I sprained my ankle falling over the late Hannah and spent New Year's day and the better part of a month with an ankle the size and consistency of a juicy pork hock.
And one year, I spent New Year's Eve in the emergency after Fred Chartrand accidentally cut my eye with ticker tape at the Canadian Press New Year's Party. That injury lasted for five years as scar tissue would build up on my eyeball, then rip, leaving me in excruciating pain.
Both Marissa and Stef have suffered black eyes over Christmas. Marissa fell on her face when she was two at a visit to Disneyworld and Stef had his eye blackened by brother Nick for God knows what offence.
Another year, the kids' grandpapa dislocated his shoulder while pushing them on sleds down a hill. That required a visit to a rural doctor and a full yard of wine drunk happily by the old fellar while wearing one of those ridiculous Christmas cracker hats.
Many other years there weren't injuries of the body, but more of the heart. Both my Grandma and Grandpa died just before Christmas when I was in my teens. And I spent one particularly heartbreaking Christmas with Mr. Big in full knowledge that he was leaving two days later to spend New Year's with his lover in Bermuda. I went to the hospital with a panic attack.
Ho, ho, fucking ho.
Looking back, a split lip ain't the worst thing that could have happened. I'd still like Hannah to be sitting at my feet, but that's not going to happen. And I wish Ming the pug was shedding all over my brand new Christmas sweater. I wish my mother was still alive, too.
You don't always get what you want for Christmas so you have to be grateful for what you do have.
So far this year, the health of everyone is pretty darned good.
And I have much to be grateful for.
A granddaughter turning one. A daughter getting married and a son getting engaged.
A new pug puppy. The bouncy retriever. And Gordon Blackstone the vernable pug who is still with me, snoring in the corner.
And of course, my wonderful Scott who is always available to drive me to the hospital.
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas eve.
And be careful out there.
:)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein