Skip to main content

Blog off, Lovelace



I was recently Facebooking about the fact my son, Nick, finally got his G licence and a job so he can start paying rent. The post ended with me saying that all seemed to be right with the world.

Then I got blindsided by a model train loving, crankypants senior who was lurking in the weeds, ready to bounce. Someone asked the question: will your son be getting a car? Before I could answer, I saw this posting.

Gord Lovelace:  If your son bought a car, it would be like a self-professed poor person publicizing efforts to repair effete Italian coffee machines and imported furniture that millionaires like me could never afford.

Well, well. The glove has been thrown down. He has been at me in the past few weeks over the fact that, while my family may be fiscally challenged, I continue to spend my money repairing  luxury items such as a Starbucks barista machine (gift from my son) and an Ekornes chair (which I won in the divorce settlement).

Gord then blorges on about how his frugality has made him a millionaire.

Just like John Furlong, Gord Lovelace takes liberty with the facts.

For example, he says, he is a frugal traveller, never having once set foot outside Canada. That may be, but he fails to mention that he owns a fly-in fishing camp. Even Martin Short doesn't have a fly-in camp!

He says he can't afford luxury items like me, and yet, and yet GORD LOVELACE was recently caught bragging about renovating his pile in New Edinburgh -- the cheap seats beside Rockcliffe. Oh yes, and did he mention his million dollar train collecting hobby?

Or his collection of vintage beer bottle caps?

No, he did not.

Gord Lovelace is not a millionaire because he fails to buy nice things. Gord Lovelace is a millionaire because he is married to Barb Lovelace who makes him take all his meals at home and gives him a $11,000 a year allowance for beer and cigarettes. She also forces him to take the bus.

Barb Lovelace is the frugal one. Gord, in fact, is impetus and money squandering.

Here's one recent example.

Barb told him to sell his amp for a guitar which he stopped playing eons ago. (We all thank her.)

Our good friend Dave Milliken, feeling sorry for the old fellar, offered to pay 50 bucks for that amp which we all thought was a very good price. And Millie has a band, so he has good use for that amp.

What does Gord do? A guy offers to buy the amp at a garage sale for $55 and Gord sells it for $50 and a quarter just to undermine Milliken. I wonder what Barb was doing that day. She would have sold that damned amp to Milliken but would have forced him to pay $75. Why? Because she's a financial genius.

Nowhere in Lovelace's playbook does he mention that he's a star because he's got a good coach.

There, I said it.

Now, blog off Lovelace! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein