Skip to main content

Diets: The Art of the Cheat



Scott and I were lined up at the checkout at Loblaws, armed with spinach, whole grain wraps and other taste sensations, when the woman behind us began inspecting our haul.

"You must be on a diet," she said. "We've been on one for months; today is our cheat day."

I looked back at her cart, filled with lemon pie, chips, sugary drinks and processed food.

"I told my trainer that I was having a cheat day," explained the women, who could be rowing heavyweight in the Olympics. "The trainer said, basically, 'have fun cause it's going to be your last."

Lately, grocery cart inspection has become somewhat of a sport for me. We've been on the Harley Pasternak joint for nearly a month and have been swapping out those dastardly foods that have sabotaged us for years.

Here are my favorites: ice cream.

We've also shrunk our portion size and choreographed our plates to make grains and veg the stars of the show.

It hasn't been bad. I don't really miss the bad stuff and it's always a good feeling when you get to wear something you haven't been able to slither into for nearly a decade.

We have a cheat day, too. But we're not going crazy. That woman's haul was ridiculous and it was pretty clear to me that whatever regime she was on was making her miserable. She was having a hard time embracing change, and I'm sure the next time I see her, her cart will still be rockin' the pie out.

Our cheat day is today, so instead of having a smoothie for breks, we opted for eggs. A month ago, our Sunday breakfast would have consisted of two eggs, bacon or sausage and two pieces of toast. This morning, we had a omelette, no toast, so you see? We didn't cheat at all. We just swapped in solid food.

For lunch, if we even had lunch since we're so stuffed with omelette, we'll have Asian soup with udon noodles. YUM!

We looked at the ribs at the grocery store yesterday and took a pass. They just didn't look as good as they used to.

For dinner we're having roast turkey with fresh salad and strawberries we picked up at the Ottawa Farmer's Market today. Scott will also serve up some potatoes, but I won't be having any. I could but I don't want to.

I like eating this way.  I'm used to it.

Our only cheat will be wine and beer, maybe a cocktail.

Come on, folks, we're not insane.

After all, we aren't rabbits or grain fed chickens.

And it is Father's Day. Daddy deserves him some libation.

Enjoy your day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein