Skip to main content

Harley Pasternak: Give me this body


Perhaps against my better judgement, on Monday, I will forging ahead on yet another diet regime. I'm not a good dieter; I have trouble staying with most diets because they make me feel sick.

But I'm hanging my hopes on Harley Pasternak, trainer to the stars, who claims he can get a person like me swimsuit ready in 20 days. I haven't been swimsuit ready in decades.

If you don't know him, Harley is a Canadian with a masters in nutrition and kinesiology. He started his professional career as a trainer for the Canadian military and segued into the movie business training the likes of J Lo and Halle Berry. Actually, a better question than who "has" Harley trained is who "hasn't" he trained.

Okay, so I'm not stupid. The odds of me having a bod like Jennifer Lopez is a big friggin' zero. My hope is that I merely can start looking good for Rose. I'm not looking to be a size four. A size four would make me look like a cancer patient. I want to be a healthy size 14. That's my goal.

Harley has a number of best selling books out which challenge the overweight to adopt a Five Factor diet which basically means eating five meals a day, that consist of only five ingredients and can be made in five minutes. He quite rightly recognizes that a lot of fatties don't like to shop or cook, so his recipes are dead easy and made from ingredients most of us can get at a basic grocery store.

This swimsuit diet is a bit different from his normal fare. It's basically a blenderized diet which consists of smoothies, dips and soups. The first week, you drink your calories with the exception of some veggies you eat with the dips. The next week, you introduce sensible dinners and so on. The fitness regime is pretty easy, too. He challenges you to walk 10,000 steps a day and do some light weights.

That's it.

Maybe it's too good to be true. But I'm putting my faith in Harley who seems like a nice, regular guy who just happens to be built like brick house. And unlike a lot of people who concoct diets, Harley actually has both solid nutritional and fitness creds.



I need this diet. I've been going to the gym nearly every day for a year now, and I still haven't lost more than five pounds. My BMI is still over 30 which is obese, though looking at me, you'd probably describe me as a little overweight. The chief culprit is my stress laden muffin top that simply will not go away. And go away it must.

About three months ago, the doctor put me on high blood pressure medication. I hate it. I hate the idea of it. It gave me a persistent cough which, after three months, is just now going away. But more importantly, taking blood pressure meds makes me feel like a dope and a failure. The doctor said if I lose the weight around the middle, I won't need the medication, so that is what I'm going to try to do over the next twenty days.

I don't care about the swimsuit. I'd just like to feel better and feel better about myself.

I wouldn't usually blog about this at the beginning of a diet, in case I fail spectacularly, but I heard somewhere -- maybe in a 12 step program -- that the first step is to tell somebody. So I'm telling you.

We'll see how it goes.

If you are interested in learning more about Harley's diet and exercise regime, here is a link.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-revolution/blog?tags=swimsuit+ready+in+20+days

Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. ok, we're your witnesses - lose that weight, drop those medications. and inspire the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein