Skip to main content

Exploiting Eric Czapnik


I'm wondering this morning how many complaints CTV Ottawa got yesterday for running a video which showed the last minutes of Constable Eric Czapnik's life.

For those who haven't seen it, I wouldn't recommend it as "must see television", unless, of course you get off on seeing a reality version of The Walking Dead.

Constable Czapnik is the Ottawa police officer who had his throat slashed in the parking lot of the Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital two Christmases ago.

The surveillance video was released yesterday to the media and showed Constable Czapnik staggering into the hospital's emergency ward, holding his slashed throat, blood spewing from his neck. As the video aired on the supper hour newscast last night, reporter Catherine Lathem gave play-by-play commentary reminding viewers that that was real blood coming from the Constable's throat.

Good eye, Catherine, good eye.

Didn't see it the first time? Let's show that clip again.

Missed it again? Go to www.ctvottawa.ca. You can play it over and over again.

I don't think I was alone in being offended by this video. I'm not sure what purpose showing it served the public. Would it make us more enraged at the perp? Would that public outrage ensure that he got what he deserved?

Did watching it make us feel better about ourselves? Would the watching of the video deter others from killing police officers in cold blood?

Showing that video did nothing but help or hurt the ratings.

What we saw was the poor Constable, trying to hold himself together in a final act of dignity as he staggered into the ER. Unfortunately, what dignity he had, he lost with his death being exploited.

Clearly, there are some that disagree with me.

I was told off on Facebook yesterday for suggesting that it's a slippery slope when courts agree to allow the media to show snuff video. What's next?
Rape and murder?

What would have stopped CTV Ottawa from showing the videos of Russell Williams raping and murdering his victims if the court thought showing them would be in the public interest?

A Facebook friend suggested that it's high time Canada get with the program, that these kinds of videos are shown every day in other countries to raise awareness of atrocities and such.

Maybe it's true. Maybe I'm too prim and proper. A prude, one of my friends once called me.

I don't think so. The day I lose my humanity and indignation about the exploitation of people like Eric Czapnik is the day you can put me in the ground.

I'm all for full disclosure in court, but not necessarily in public. I don't believe that every sordid detail of every murder trial should be overshared with the titillated public on Twitter, either.

In the age of Twitter, the courts are losing their judgment.

As for CTV Ottawa, well, I lost respect for that station months back when the newscast began showing graphic videos of police beatings, horses being slaughtered and cows being shot in the head. I see no purpose for showing these kinds of things on the supper hour news, when many children are having family dinner time together.

I hope that Constable Czapnik's young son wasn't sitting in front of the telly last night with his mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein