Skip to main content

The strange case of Greg Etue



I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk.

I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver.

"Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now."

"It was your gun, is that correct?"

He slammed down the receiver.

I was ashamed of myself.

People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that.

I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism.

That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days.

Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot of oversharing on such stories as the suicide of Jamie Hubley and Darren Richardson, two wonderful kids who took their own lives and who have now become martyrs to the cause of suicide prevention.

I think it's admirable what the families are doing, raising awareness and hoping to prevent more children from taking such terrible actions.

But sometimes the media takes it too far.

Newspapers never used to cover suicides. It was policy.

Now, it seems, news organizations can't get enough of the stuff.

Why not? Sad tales of this kind are revenue-makers. Ask Rupert Murdoch.

So I found the recent coverage of the death Greg Etue, husband of CTV news anchor Carole Anne Meehan to be curiously against the modern journalistic grain.

All signs lead to suicide. All reports hint at it.

But it's as if her family has been given a pass by the media and the police because she's a media personality. Even the police have kept virtually dumb on the subject. The final news release simply said Mr. Greg Etue had been "located". Someone who didn't know the story would think he'd been returned safely home, which was not the case.

His death was not reported in the police press release.

I have never in my long journalistic life seen a police report like that. Usually, it will say something like this: "Mr. Etue was found in his car, deceased. Cause of death pending an autopsy."

In turn, the news media would investigate further and report that he had died either of "natural causes" or "an apparent suicide".

I'm not saying that the media should be all over poor Carole Anne Meehan and her family; I'm not saying that at all. But the media has an obligation to report the facts in this case.

Ergo, Mr. Etue was found in his car on a side road near Killaloe after having been reported missing two weeks earlier. Sources say he apparently had taken his own life after suffering from a lengthy battle with multiple sclerosis and throat cancer.

If that is indeed what happened.

But as the Citizen's Kelly Egan suggested today, and I agree with him, the lack of information in this case leads to more speculation. It's got everybody in town talking.

In the public relations business, that means the story has "legs". It won't go away until people know what happened.

What troubles me, mostly, is that the media has chosen to handle this case with kid gloves simply because it involves one of their own.

That is wrong.

Every case like this should be treated the same, whether it involves the missing husband of a Vanier pizza parlour owner or the husband of a news reader.

We all feel very sorry for Carole Anne and her family. But she, more than anybody, knows that a story is a story.

And it should be reported like that.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2015, and I was a woman of 50. They put me on Rebif which I took until 2017 and was switched to Copaxone. I had two relapses on Rebif, none so far on Copaxone. I do notice my balance was getting worse, and my memory, as well as erectile dysfunction and spasms’ had no choice to sick for other solution and I was introduce to totalcureherbsfoundation.com which I purchase the MS herbal formula from the foundation, the herbal supplement has effectively get rid of my multiple sclerosis and reversed all symptoms. 

      Delete
  2. It does have legs. I'm still wondering what happened. Another good one Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a photojournlist can't disagree with your story..but my heart goes out to anybody facing this kind of news.
    Can so easily put myself in this story..illness can be such a scary place..
    dp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose:
    and today..the tmz"final"report on the death of sly stalones son..way too much detail for my taste

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you want to buy or sell your kidney for money, we are urgently in need for O+ve and A+ve kidney donors with any passports require. If any one is willing to donate or buy please contact us via via Email : kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmailcom
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2015, and I was a woman of 50. They put me on Rebif which I took until 2017 and was switched to Copaxone. I had two relapses on Rebif, none so far on Copaxone. I do notice my balance was getting worse, and my memory, as well as erectile dysfunction and spasms’ had no choice to sick for other solution and I was introduce to totalcureherbsfoundation.com which I purchase the MS herbal formula from the foundation, the herbal supplement has effectively get rid of my multiple sclerosis and reversed all symptoms. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

Jack Van Dusen: 90 Years Old and Not a Drop Wasted

A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."  -- L. Frank Baum It's not easy standing out in a family like the Van Dusens. They are like tribbles; they are everywhere. In politics. In the media. In the fine arts. Even on stage at local fairs raising money for good causes. But Jack Van Dusen is no ordinary Van Dusen. He's a trailblazer. He was the voice of Ottawa anchoring the local news in the early days, with the sidekicks you see in the photo above. He was on Parliament Hill rubbing shoulders with the likes of John George Diefenbaker and making mischief with the relatively small cabal of ink stain wretches who were the first generation to talk to Canadians over the air waves. After a successful time in the media, Jack had a second career as a public relations guy. That's when I met him sitting at the lunch table at the National Press Club with his brother Tom, the columnist Charles Lynch, Sergeant-at-Arms Gus Clou