Skip to main content

The Ontario government found me a family doctor! Thanks Dalton.


About a week ago, two days after The Peanut was born, I received a letter from the Ontario government saying Healthcare Connect had found me a family doctor.

Whoopee!

It was as if I'd won the lottery.

I had been on the waiting list for more than a year after dumping The Worst Family Doctor in Ontario (TWFDO), the one who refused to look in my vagina.

My family would no longer have to wait in line for hours to see a practitioner. During my last visit to the local clinic, I was made to wait four hours and ended up going to the hospital anyway, only to wait another six hours. Finally, I gave up and turned to my home pharmacy for relief.

Yesterday, I trudged down the street(!) to see Dr. Ben, who is a kindly older doctor from Morocco with an impossible name to pronounce. I showed my health card and was whisked in to see him in less than five minutes. We had a meet and greet chat, I showed him my sprained ankle, and he assured me that I was on the mend and gym-ready. We also discussed some concerns I had about my blood pressure and he instructed me to visit the drug store every day for a week, get readings, then come back to see him.

I gave him a short run down of my medical history -- not much to tell. I'm not on any medication and I'm pretty healthy. He commended me for adopting a regular exercise regime and told me that he's against over-medication and for a more holistic approach to health care. I might have to take blood pressure medication, he said, and suggested I reduce my salt intake (I barely take any) and lose weight.

"I've been going to the gym an hour a day for a year and I can't lose weight," I said. He shrugged.

"Well, we're all built differently. Just do the best you can."

And with that, the visit was over.

I was thrilled. I vowed to work harder and be more vigilant in watching my diet. I had a goal -- to make sure that I would do every thing possible to avoid taking blood pressure meds. If I have to, fine. But I'm going to try to reduce those damned two numbers and see what happens.

When I got home, I enrolled in the Heart and Stroke Foundation website, creepily named Make Death Wait. It's designed to give encouraging advice and web-based programs to reduce a person's risk of the two major killers of women.

I had a plan and I had a practitioner to follow my progress, a doctor who was on the same page as me.

I liked his approach. Unlike TWFDO, he didn't automatically write me a scrip and send me off to the Pharmaplus next door for blood pressure pills. He was happy to wait and see if I would take some action.

For the first time in a couple of decades, I may finally have found a practitioner who is willing to work with me, as a partner on my health care. He didn't rush me out of the office. He didn't patronize me and treat me like a stupid old cow, as TWFDO has done in the past.

He listened. And he gave me positive reinforcement.

This might be the start of a beautiful health care friendship.

From my experience, things can only look up from here.

Thanks Dalton! Maybe Ontario health care isn't so broken after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

Jack Van Dusen: 90 Years Old and Not a Drop Wasted

A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."  -- L. Frank Baum It's not easy standing out in a family like the Van Dusens. They are like tribbles; they are everywhere. In politics. In the media. In the fine arts. Even on stage at local fairs raising money for good causes. But Jack Van Dusen is no ordinary Van Dusen. He's a trailblazer. He was the voice of Ottawa anchoring the local news in the early days, with the sidekicks you see in the photo above. He was on Parliament Hill rubbing shoulders with the likes of John George Diefenbaker and making mischief with the relatively small cabal of ink stain wretches who were the first generation to talk to Canadians over the air waves. After a successful time in the media, Jack had a second career as a public relations guy. That's when I met him sitting at the lunch table at the National Press Club with his brother Tom, the columnist Charles Lynch, Sergeant-at-Arms Gus Clou