Skip to main content

Remembrance Day: Mary, Ina and Vera


When my Granny Ina lost her husband, Herbert, on a battlefield in the First World War, a grateful nation sent her a medal and a note from King George V.

He whom this scroll commemorates was numbered among the those who at the call of King and Country, left all that was dear to them, endured hardness, faced danger, and finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and sacrifice, giving up their own lives that others might live in freedom.

Let those who come after see to it that his name not be forgotten.


My grandmother put the scroll away.

I found it, when I was a curious kid rummaging through her sock drawer looking for hidden candy.

The medal and scroll, obviously, hadn't meant much to Granny.

She never talked about Herbert. It was as if he hadn't existed.

The only evidence of Private O'Neill was the man who lived with us, his son Vern, a 50-something oddity with the mind of a ten-year-old who used to take me out on Hallowe'en dressed like Freddy the Freeloader.

Granny was one of the first War widows in my family.

She was a cold woman, who wasted no time in putting Herbert in the sock drawer to marry my Grandfather, the widower Loyal Crown who had lost his first wife in childbirth. There was no future for a widow in the '20s and I think Ina married Loyal out of necessity. She needed support in raising Vern and he needed a wife to help raise his own son, Lloyd.

Nearly nothing was said about Herbert. I couldn't tell you his regiment or where or how he died.

It was just that way. No time for sentimentality.

There were many more tears shed for the next generation of war dead in my family. My great grandmother, Mary, lost her grandson Bobby in a plane crash in World War II.

My own Dad died a year out of the Army, a casualty of the mental illness sort.

I can't tell you much about Bobby. Only that my brother Bob was named after him. Sometimes, when I was playing with my toys on the floor, I would hear his name whispered, but only occasionally, in the hushed and revered tones saved for heroes.

And I certainly can't tell you much about my own father, who died when I was an infant. I only remember a picture of him. His name was whispered at the table, too, but not in the way of heroes. Only in the way of men who met their end tragically, by suicide or misadventure.

I used to carry Dad's medals around, but I don't have them anymore.

After I wrote a story about him for the Ottawa Citizen a decade ago, I gave his letters and medals to my brother, Bob, who actually did remember the guy.

This morning, I opened up the small box in my bedroom that held the Memorial Cross awarded to my grandmother's first husband. I held the Greek-style bevelled cross, admired the tiny Maple leaves etched on its arms along with the Crown and the Royal cipher, GRI, representing the King, and Emperor, George V.

I wondered what Herbert might have been like. I thought about Bobby, too, and my Dad, all hail fellows gone too soon, casualties of the folly of misguided men and nations.

They exist now in the ground. Herbert and Bobby are somewhere in Europe. Dad rests among his comrades in Victoria Lawn Cemetery, the final resting place of veterans, in my hometown of St. Catharines. His grave is marked with a stone, his name and a number.

Their widows, mothers and grandmothers have been put in the ground as well.

They, too, were the casualties of war.

We must never forget them, either.

Today, in an hour, I will watch the Remembrance Day ceremonies and I will pay tribute -- in my heart, at least -- to Herbert and Bobby and Russell.

And later, I will raise a glass to remember my significant others, the women who sacrificed their lives in the name of war.

To Mary. To Ina. To Vera.

God Bless.

Update: After writing this, an old friend from school managed to track down the final resting place of Herbert O'Neill. Private H.V. O'Neill was killed in an air raid on May 19 1918. He's buried in the Etaples (France) Military Cemetary, plot 66, row D, grave #3.

What a wonderful gift on Remembrance Day. Thanks Barb!

Comments

  1. Ancestry.ca has free access to Canadian military records to honour Remembrance day. I think your grandfather's records are there. I found an Attestation paper for a Herbert Victor O'Neil married to Mary Ina and also a casualty report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello: Do you still have that? I'm re-running my blog in honor of the 100th anniversary of WWII.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein