Skip to main content

The Jellystone Pipeline and the Sundance Kid



I hate being patronized by Americans, especially in our own Canadian media.

There's an op-ed piece in the Globe and Mail today by the actor and director Robert Redford who emplores us, as Canadians, to reject the Jellystone pipeline.

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't think there's much I can do about the pipeline. I suppose I could write a letter to my MP, but he's a Liberal and I doubt that the Harper government will listen to him.

I suppose I could rail in this blog against the pipeline and its impact on the environment but I don't think it will do any good.

So I'll probably lay on the couch this afternoon and try to figure out how to make enough money to pay my Hydro bill.

What I can do is stop buying the Globe and Mail, until it stops running drivel written by actors who are supposed to be experts on the environment. Really, Bob, the whole Jellystone thing is more about ruining your backyard than mine, isn't it?

I doubt Bob Redford would fire up his laptop if the pipeline was ravaging the Canadian Shield instead of parts of America. We have lots of polluters who've ruined Canada over the past decades, and I haven't heard a peep from the Sundance Kid on that subject.

What really irritates me is that he so incredibly condescending in his pitch. He writes:

"Oh Canada, our home and native land," Canadians sing in the national anthem. "The True North strong and free!" Like so many Americans, I've looked northward much of my life and found inspiration here."


Sure you did, Bob.

He then points to the significance of the Toronto International Film Festival.

WTF?

I think Bob can do better than this.

It seems the only knowledge he has about Canada is a tune he learned at a hockey game. That and keen knowledge about a competing film festival.

Movie stars should stick to starring in movies.

His op-ed piece sound likes something written by a democratic political flak.

"We need Canadians everywhere to join us in this fight.(Yes we can.) We need to call on the history and values we share and stand up. (Yes, we can.) Canadians and Americans as one. (Yes, we can.) We need to draw the line at tar sands. (Yes, we can.) We need to reject the Keystone XL." Booya.

Boy, that's rousing stuff. Makes me want to get off the couch and help Bob out.

What a call to action.

What an inspiring pitch.

Like I said, Bob, when you give me something concrete I can do, give me a call. Otherwise, get ready for your closeup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein