Skip to main content

Family medicine in Ontario: The human car wash



My recent close encounters with modern socialized medicine have not been horrible, so I've become somewhat emboldened to embrace the system.

But in my own way.

I have need of a number of medical interventions, specifically tests. I haven't had a physical for three years, and I haven't had a proper physical since the kids were small, nearly twenty years ago. My current sawbones, The Worst Family Doctor in Ontario, is adverse to looking at my vagina so I don't think his physical exams really count.

When I complained to the Ontario College of Family Physicians, I was informed that if I wanted to take my complaint further, they would provide my name to the doctor who would promptly fire me a a patient. So I didn't follow through.

That's right, I chickened out.

What's most maddening is that he's next to useless because he cancels his appointments all the time. I guess it's because his wife's a baby doctor. I'm hoping it's not because he's just a lazy SOB.

Anyway, I have all these tests and I don't want anything to do with him. So I'm thinking of a plan to have them done through a walk in clinic, which is my next alternative.

There's a big sign at the walk in that says that patients can only see a doctor for one procedure or complaint at a time. So I told Scott I'm going to go to the clinic, line up, see the doctor, then lineup again, until I get everything done. I figure this will take me approximately three days to get: PAP, blood pressure, urine test, breast exam, as well as the ordering of the cholesterol test, thyroid, general bloodwork, etc.

I better bring a drink and a sandwich, as it took nearly four hours to see a doctor the other day, just for him to tell me I had a virus.

Secretly, I'm hoping that the receptionist will get so tired of me llining up that she'll force the doctor to see me for the whole ball of wax. I think it's worth a try.

In the meantime, here's what I found out about what it will cost. This information was provided by the College Square Clinic in Toronto.

Family Physicians receive $17.75 for a routine office visit. For more complex problems, they receive $30.20, regardless of the time spent with the patient.

OHIP pays $58.20 for a complete physical exam (once a year) and approximately $51.70 per half hour of counseling.

OHIP does not pay the doctor's expenses which include rent, computers, medical equipment, staff etc. OHIP does not pay them anything if you do not show up for your appointment.


Needless to say, the money for rent and Hydro has to come from somewhere.

So the way I've got it figured out, a doctor can make a little more than $100 a half hour if he sees you, the patient, for five minutes. Versus, say the $50 bucks he spends with you doing a physical exam.

If the clinic operates for 10 hours, the doc make $2,130 for treating family medicine as a human car wash. If the doctor gave patients the time they needed, and GOT TO KNOW THEM, he'd make half that amount.

Hmmm, maybe that explains why The Worst Doctor in Ontario doesn't want to do physical exams! A physical exam would cut into his pizza money, that's for sure.

He can also make more money with his foot clinic, where my friend Bob goes to get his toenails clipped because he's a diabetic. TWFDO charges Bob $40 bucks for five minutes work, which is almost as much as he gets to do my damned physical.

Where's the incentive for these nobs to do proper health care?

I digress.

Any, so I figure that it will cost the system twice as much if I follow through with my plan of lining up over three days to get all my medical needs looked after at a clinic.

But at least it will be done.

I'd love to see someone come into family practice and just do physical exams on all us poor schmucks who need them. It would cost the system a lot less than the piece work they pay doctors these days. It would help prevent serious illnesses and diseases by nipping them at the early stage. And that doctor would be the most loved doctor in Ontario.

As opposed to mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein