Skip to main content

Dolphins lean to swim with sharks



With all this talk of bullying, it should be pointed out that bullying doesn't stop after high school.

For a lot of folks, it doesn't get better, as the campaign suggests. A lot of folks just learn to deal.

I didn't get bullied in high school, but I've certainly met my share in the workplace, particularly in the federal government where it seems all the mean girls got jobs as managers after high school.

I once worked as a temporary replacement in a government department whose communications manager was an absolute monster. She would only meet face to face with the staff once a week and would manage using threatening emails.

I replaced three of her staff members over four months, all of whom had taken stress leave because of her wicked queen like behavior.

I've also encountered many bullies working in newspapers.

They were called editors.

I've been called every name in the book because they didn't like my copy.

And in the early days, I was sexually harassed on a daily basis because I have big boobs.

One of the photographers used to call me Rosie Tits.

I need not say more.

There's a saying that I like: when you're a dolphin, you learn to swim with sharks. And let me tell you, there are a lot of sharks in this town, starting with the one at the top, the ruthless SOB working out of Centre Block who has a master plan to take over the world.

He'll take out anybody to achieve his goals.

Let's call him Stephen Scissorhands.

Anyway, as a dolphin, I've learned some strategies to keep myself safe. I will only talk about the female bosses because I've only had female bosses over my career, except you, Peggy, if you're reading this.

-- Don't get mad, get even. Everyone has a weakness and your job as the dolphin is to exploit that weakness. I like to sow discontent among co-workers, whip them up into a frenzy using rumors and innuendo about the boss. It is your job to make sure the boss has no allies or friends in the workplace. So when she slips up, no one will support her.

-- Become friendly with the bosses you hate the most. Charm them, flatter them, offer to buy them skinny lattes and get full fat instead.

-- Get them to confide in you, and then blab their inner hopes and dreams all over the office. I like to use the JellyBelly strategy. Always keep a dish of jellies at the ready for the boss; when she's PMSing and she will tell you everything.

-- Make sure to turn up the flattery particularly when the boss is wearing something really putrific, to make sure she wears it every week.

-- Suggest a new hair color or haircut, one which you know will reflect her ugly nature.

-- Get her to join the gym with you; make sure she forks out thousands of dollars on a service she will never use.

-- Refuse her Facebook request. Always. This may be unnecessary; she will have already have no friends once you're done with her.

These are tried and true techniques, but use them sparingly. I only use them on those deserving of the spite of others. You must verify with at least three other people that the person is a monster, moron or MOFO and it's just not you.

Go forth, dolphins. And good luck.

You will be a boss in no time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein