Skip to main content

My whine on wine





I was in the LCBO at Elmvale yesterday to buy my first bottle of red wine in months.

It's not that I stopped drinking wine -- though I probably should -- it's that Scott has been making me red wine at Pure Brew out in Orleans. He had a part time job there and part of the deal was he got a case of wine or beer every month.

I, therefore, was the lucky recipient of some nice Barolo and Pinot Noir. Drinking it took some getting used to because, let's face it, the wine is young and a little grapey for my taste which has changed since I left St. Catharines in the 70s.

Back home, we all cut our molars on Ruptured Duck as teenagers, a wine now referred to by the industry as "pop" wine. I don't think you can find it anymore, as the purveyors of spirits have moved on in their quest to get teens hooked at a young age. Now, the rage is flavored vodka -- there's even one that is basically a Fluffernutter with booze -- and Red Bull infused drinks. Blech.

Anyway, I lost the taste for pop wine years ago after moving to Ottawa and being exposed to free wine in ministers' offices as well as other expensive hooch all poured as part of the Wonderful Wednesday celebrations on Parliament Hill.

Usually, the parties spilled onto the street about 8 p.m. and we all landed at Mama T's.

I remember a very ribald evening at Mama Teresa's and five bottles of vintage Barolo split amongst four of us. This was truly piggish behavior on our part, behavior that would make Mike Duffy's penis-shaped head blush to a crimson hue. Excess, that's what Ottawa was all about back when there was always a Deputy Minister to pick up the tab. (That was before the invention of access to information, a time when journalists were just as likely to join in the party instead of reporting on it.)

In recent years, I have cut back my consumption of alcohol considerably. Now that the press club is gone, I no longer spend my afternoons getting soused with officers of the House of Commons and my regular meet up with Antonio Lamer, former head of the Supremes, ended with his death a few years back.

I made a decision to give up beer altogether, having drank more than fifty times the lifetime average allotted for women by medical professionals. In the defence of we plebes, I say that doctors cannot be trusted to administer advice on the subject of alcohol. After I gave up my political career, I went into the medical field and can tell you on great authority doctors cannot be trusted around an open bottle of anything, particularly during "Spring Round".

Doctors are like teachers. Do what I say, not what I do.

Anyway, now my poisons are red wine (only) and strong drink, meaning three ounce margaritas (two parts tequila, one part Triple Sec and a splash of lemon juice, my own concoction which has afforded me respect from my bartender son, Stef. And one only.

It must be part of getting old. I believe the cocktail hour was invented by seniors who have been told by their doctors to have only one drink.

For the most part, I practise "behavior modification" which means, essentially, four drinks max on an occasion, with the majority of those drinks being low alcohol.

I should not be drinking at all, but let's face it, I'm fucked anyway having long ignored the peer reviewed medical research that consuming more than 14 alcoholic drinks a week will give a woman cancer and sometimes the human papillomavirus, especially when drinking with Michael Douglas.

So French wine has become my drink of choice because of its low alcohol content.

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I discovered the French no longer make 11-12% wine. What gives? Is this some dastardly plot by the French to sozzle the entire population of North American in their quest for world domination?

Investigation was required.

Fortunately, I work for the French, so this morning I emailed my work colleague in Paris and this is what she had to say:

I am totally aware of this !!! I think it has to do with the fact that the trend in wines is to go to more powerful and heavy wines - and I think that marketing has to do with that.

Her advice?

My favourite wines come from Languedoc (I am not a big Bordeaux lover, I think they are often too pretentious) and they all are around 14 % ! Maybe you can go for the Beaujolais, but well, they are often not that great...
 

So there is no solution to my problem other than to go back to drinking beer (not an option for gluten intolerant bloatees, like myself) or to give in to the high test stuff. There is one other option, yes I know what it is but teetotalling requires a noose.

I blame the damned Australians who have turned wine into moonshine.

Never trust anyone from a country that was founded by murderers and pickpockets. .

In Australia, they eat their own young, or their own politicians at least. So how can they be trusted not to make wine out of spiders and snakes which are widely available throughout the countryside?

Their wines are ripe with venom.

As are my thoughts right now about a little man called Wolf Blass.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein